Wednesday, September 25, 2013

ceramics

I am lucky enough to have a pal from art school who happens to be a ceramics wizard.  His name is Patrick Johnston and he lives in venice, CA (my old stomping grounds). PJ or Peej as I like to call him met when I was a sophmore at RISD. I walked into a grad level ceramics class having never touched clay in my life and somehow convinced the professor to let me in. Patrick immediately recognized that I was a novice and became my mentor through the duration of the class. He taught me how to hand build, make molds, and create this really weird final project idea I had--I wanted to make paper thin pieces of flat porcelain and hang it from the ceiling? so dumb.. Anyway, Peej is a great friend and when I told him about my ceramics idea he was so so helpful--let me use his studio, retaught me everything (again!) and finally helped me figure out how to wrap each piece that I made so that they would never ever break in transit.  so Peej is to thank for the ceramics you see below.   




here are some shots that describe the mold process...










1 comment: